When it comes to protecting your teeth, your first line of defense against tooth decay and cavities is your tooth enamel, as it is the outermost covering that protects the more vulnerable dentin and tooth pulp below. Your enamel comes equipped for the job as the hardest substance in your body. However, because it doesn’t have living cells it can’t grow back once it is lost.
Probably the number one food choice for healthy tooth enamel is food rich in calcium which helps form strong teeth and bones. Cheese, also high in calcium, helps balance your oral pH which reduces the acids that attack the enamel. Besides cheese and other low-fat dairy items like yogurt, you can find calcium in fortified rice and soy milk, sardines and salmon in the can, almonds, and dark leafy greens like kale, broccoli and spinach.
– Foods rich in vitamin D help your body absorb calcium. Vitamin D is abundant in milk, salmon, margarine, as well as soy and rice beverages which are fortified.
– Your teeth also need phosphorus which you can find in eggs, meat and fish.
– Vitamin A, found in sweet potatoes, red peppers, mangoes and kale.
– Beta-carotene in fruits and vegetables which are orange.
– Magnesium rich foods like bananas, whole grains, and spinach.
For healthy tooth enamel, you also want to make sure are hydrated throughout the day. Water helps support saliva flow and keeps your mouth debris-free while helping all the bodily tissues.
Healthy eating habits combined with daily tooth brushing and flossing and regular dental checkups and cleanings can help your teeth and gums stay strong for a lifetime of healthy smiles.
If you have questions about caring for your teeth or would like to have our American Dental Associates team provide you with a dental cleaning and exam, please call 773-830-3816 to schedule an appointment. Dr. Sharma and associates in Chicago, Illinois, look forward to providing you with the quality care you deserve!